Because it is a genre that enthusiasts are passionate about, you are bound to generate some criticism when compiling a list of the 10 greatest muscle cars of all time. Some enthusiasts trace the history of muscle cars, to the 1949 Oldsmobile Rocket 88. But the heyday of this genre ran from 1965 to 1970 before collapsing under the weight of higher gas prices, more stringent exhaust emissions regulations and soaring insurance costs.
What is a muscle car? There isn’t a settled definition, but most experts agree it’s a smaller, two-door car powered by a high-displacement engine typically found in a larger, full-size sedan. Some argue that pony cars, such as the Ford Mustang and Chevrolet Camaro, aren’t muscle cars at all, but for this list, we chose not to make that distinction.
Manufacturers have engineered muscle cars for straight-line speed, inspiring more than an occasional Saturday night drag race between traffic lights. Neither built nor sold in huge numbers, muscle cars were bait, luring buyers into showrooms where they would purchase more mundane models. Yet, the muscle-car mystique lives on. Here’s our list, Enjoy!!!
- The 1967 Shelby Mustang GT500 with a 428-cubic-inch Police Interceptor engine, providing 355 horsepower.
- The 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 shoehorning a mammoth Ford 427 engine, to give 500 horsepower.
- The 1969 Z28 Chevy Camaro hosts a Small-Block 302 cubic inch engine, kicking 290 horsepower.
- The 1970 Chevelle 454 SS, boasting a 450 horsepower engine.
- The 1970 Plymouth Hemi ‘Cuda sporting a five high-powered V8 engine that produces 425 horsepower.
- The 1965 Pontiac GTO with a 389 cubic inch engine, to give 335 horsepower.
- A 1970 Boss 302 Mustang with its unique high-rev V8 engine that produces 290 horsepower.
- The 1969 Dodge Charger runs an R/T 440 Magnum engine and producing 425 horsepower.
- The 1968 Pontiac Firebird Coupe flies with 350 horsepower thanks to a 400 cubic inch V8 engine.
- The 1970 Buick GSX going big with 360 horsepower generated from the Buick GS big-block engine.
Source: Sports Cars 568 (http://sport-cars-568.blogspot.com); Bankrate.com (http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto/best-american-muscle-cars-of-all-time-1.aspx)
Found on sport-cars-568.blogspot.com Source 2: